Saturday, May 12, 2018

Visiting Open Houses


What we Learned, Still, though, my experiences have turned me into an open house aficionado of sorts. I know what makes buyers swoon (myself and others), as well as what repels buyers the moment they set foot inside.
 
So if you're a home seller who hopes to bowl over buyers rather than send them running, I'm here to help.
 
Let me tell you about a few things I've learned that could kill your chances of selling your home.  

Personal quirks on display

Steak sauce, mustard, and hot sauce. These condiments were not in the kitchen (as one would expect) but on a dresser in a bedroom. Right then and there, I knew I had to get out of the house. Who knows what was going on there, but it was just too weird for me to stick around and ponder the possibilities.

“First impressions matter,” Remember, you want the prospective buyer's attention to be on the home, not your personal life.”

Remove all personal items, including family photos, unusual collectibles, memorabilia, and misplaced condiments.

Hovering home sellers (or their kids)

I walked in to find cute kids under the covers half-a . Granted, these kids weren't there alone; their parents were lingering, too. But adult supervision or not, all these family members nearby made me want to flee, because I felt like I was intruding on their personal space.

“Home sellers often make the mistake of leaving their place too late and returning too soon,”  A well-advertised open house will attract people early, and there will definitely be people arriving just as the agent is locking up. So plan on getting everyone up and out of bed an hour before the open house starts.

Dark, dusty rooms

A three-bedroom, two-bathroom condo I checked out in the suburban county was spacious, but very dark.

The windows were covered not only by lace curtains, but also by valances and vertical blinds. It felt less like a home and more like the inside of a crypt. I tried to open the curtains to get a sense of what the room would look like. But there were too many window coverings to remove, and I could manage to let in only one ray of sun. Then I gave up and got out.

The aim is to get as much natural light as possible and then turn on every lamp.” 
We also recommends dusting blinds. If you don’t, the light will catch the dust and make the whole house appear dirty.

Cluttered closets and drawers

Open houses are all about strangers opening and closing things—closet doors, kitchen cabinets and drawers. I recall one apartment I instantly loved and was ready to make an offer on—until I opened the kitchen pantry. There were products in there with packaging I recognized from my childhood ... at my grandmother's house. It was only then that I realized the house actually needed a ton of work and had not been updated at all since the 1980s.

Bottom line: Every detail of your house resonates with buyers. 

'Clients will say, 'People don’t care what my closet looks like!'' 
But buyers do care, and all the details they glean help them form an opinion of your property 'Rather than remembering the beautiful skylight, they remember the medicine cabinet with a leaking bottle.

Lack of snacks

There’s something about a platter of baked goods that makes people like me go wild. Think cookies and small bottles of water. (You may want to skip baking the cookies yourself, which can make savvy buyers think you are trying to conceal funky odors.)

“Refreshments are a nice touch,”  After all, going to an open house takes effort—sometimes I went to several a day. When an open house offered a little snack to greet visitors, I would be in a better frame of mind when testing the water pressure in the shower. Having no snacks is not necessarily a deal killer; but in general, I've noticed that the better open houses tend to have something to nosh on, perhaps because they were managed by people who paid attention to details.

Cloth booties

At the last open house I went to a few weeks ago, the agent had visitors put on cloth booties to protect the floor. This is fairly standard procedure, but this house had steep, narrow stairs. Two potential buyers slipped on the staircase within 20 minutes. I pictured myself buying the house, only to fall to my death as I went downstairs for coffee. 

So as much as I liked the home, I didn't make an offer that day. My husband made me tour the home again, sans booties. And after discovering the stairs were safe if you didn't wear slippery booties, I fell in love and made an offer.

In this case, at least, I learned a lesson: First impressions can be deceptive. So if no one's swooning over your open house immediately, don't obsess about what you've done wrong. Sooner or later, the right buyer will come along.

The decision to Sell or Buy is a personal one that depends on your financial situation, future plans and lifestyle. If you’re interested on a wealth of information to help you get started visit us at Precision Realty & Assoc. LLC or if you prefer a more personal touch, CALL 801-809-9866 today. 

Mortgage Rates Level Out


#RealEstateForSale #Homeownership #UtahRealEstate #MortgageRates

No comments:

Post a Comment